Re: iBook questions

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:26:27AM -0400, SteveC wrote:
> I have a white ibook2 running Testing and some wierd things happening:
>
> 1) The X view is shifted down one line. the top line of the screen is
> actually the bottom line. if I mova a window around the bottom of the
> screen the top line changes. what gives? Friend has the same problem, both
> ATI Radeon displays... This is completely independant of window manager
> etc
>
> 2) The mouse [trackpad] locks up every now and then. This seems to happen
> more when its hot and the only way I can reset it seems to put it to sleep
> and wake up the whole laptop... is there some other way? I've been running
> various BenH kernels for a while.
>
> 3) Linux seems incapable of playing DVD's at full rate on the ibook, I'm
> guessing because any assembler optimized routines are for x86. Does anyone

Well, i think mplayer has also some alpha assembler optimizations,
written bye an alpha user. Mmm, i think i also remember something about
G4/altivec optimized video viewer or something such, so it would not be
that desesperate as you think. Then, you always have the option of
getting a good asm book, and write the optimizations yourselves.

Friendly,

Sven Luther