New kernel -> less heat ?

I sort of have the same problem as the "New Kernel -> moer heat?" thread
except for my fan never starts???  I have a powerbook g4. I compiled
2.4.19 from kernel.org with xfs patch, took the default config that came
with the debian powerpc xfs iso, and compiled the kernel.  while
recompiling (forgot sound stuff), i took notice that my fan never came
on...

to be sure i wrote some code that i was sure would cause the fan to turn on

int
main () { while (1) {} }
---- ----

top showed my cpu at 100% and still no fan

--
Everett Coleman II
gcc80x86@colemanTECH.tzo.com