booting a kernel through open firmware.

A while back I recall reading somewhere that it is
possible to boot a linux kernel directly from OF without
using yaboot.  I actually did this once myself but lost
my record of it.  I think I could use yaboot from say OS 9
but I would like to figure this out anyway.

I've looked around on the net and found various "boot"
commands put am having trouble constructing  one that
works on my system.  My SCSI device looks like:

/pci@f0000000

	/ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL366@12
		/sd
	/ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL366@12,1
		/sd

This is the command aliases  the system uses to boot OS X:

boot-device
/pci@f2000000/ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL366@12/@6:8,\\:tbxi hd:,\\:tbxi
hd                  /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0

I decypher the "@6:8" to mean disk with ID 6 and the 8th
partition.  I know it is possible to boot OS X or OS 9 using
a command like:
boot hd:8,\\:tbxi (for OS X)

What I need to do is construct a command that boots my linux
kernel.

I've tried this next one and various permutations but had
no success.
boot pci/ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL366@12/@1:1,vmlinux root=/dev/sdb1

I think my root partition is wrong but I know the SCSI device
is ID: 1.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (At least the well
meaning kind.)

Fred