Re: Stupid wireless questions

On   4 Sep, this message from Rogério Brito echoed through cyberspace:
> 	I'll probably be saving some money the next few months up to
> 	Christmas to buy me things for wireless access.

:-)

> 	1 - Is the airport card (the one that goes inside the iBook)
> 	    completely supported under Linux?

Has been commented extensively... Has always worked well for me.

> 	2 - If one would purchase a PCMCIA card for a x86 notebook,
> 	    which brands would be recommended, regarding the quality
> 	    of support under Linux (and also availability)?

I also own a Cisco Aironet PCM350 card (don't know whether it's price is
interesting re. other cards), which works top-class as well, and which
has a _much_ better range than the built-in Airport in my TiBook.

> 	3 - Can anything base station be used in place of Apple's
> 	    expensive base station? Would there be any loss of
> 	    functionality?

No, not right away. There are various modes of operation of a wireless
network: managed, unmanaged, ... I forget all the names. Anyway, when
you run an access point, most of the time you'll run in managed mode,
where all traffic from client A to client B goes _through_ the base
station. At the same time, the base station does bridging between
wireless and wired.

This 'managed' mode requires software support that is, AFAIK, not
available in _any_ Linux driver for wireless cards. The hardware is the
same, though.

> 	I'm not exactly sure if I understand the concept of a base
> 	station. To me, all descriptions that I read sound just like a
> 	dedicated router (and possibly doing NAT) with ability of
> 	connecting via waves (and possibly through ethernet). Is that
> 	right?

Bridging between wired and wireless, and doing routing/NAT towards a
dial-up Internet connection, with dial-on-demand functionality.

> 	If it is, then a base station could be substituted with, say,
> 	an old computer with another (cheap) wireless card, right?

For some applications, in non-managed mode, maybe. Not in managed mode,
AFAIK.

> 	Sorry for asking questions so basic here, but my training in
> 	the area of networks is not as strong as I'd like, and I have
> 	never even *seen* or used a wireless network in my life (not
> 	common here where I live) and I'm just speculating if I should
> 	buy the gadgets necessary after I graduate or if it will be a
> 	better investment to use the money saved for something else
> 	(like books).

Go read Jean Tourrilhes' pages about wireless stuff:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |