Re: Signal 11

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:32:25 +0200 (CEST)
Michel Lanners <mlan@cpu.lu> wrote:

> On   2 Sep, this message from Marvin Germain echoed through
> cyberspace:
> >      I have had Woody installed for a couple of days now
> > on my powerbase 180, which contains a powerlogix G4 upgrade card.
> > I am running the 2.4.18 kernel that came on the debian CD.  I have
> > been having a lot of problems with programs dying with a signal 11.
> > This has happened frequently to the X server. [...] I have also had
> > vi and ps fail with segmentation faults.
>
> Re. your problems, that looks suspiciously like a hardware problem,
> most probably with faulty RAM.

I had the same problem on my 9500, and in the end, I figured it was
actually the memory slots, or some other hardware problem. Changing the
RAM seemed to lessen or worsen the problem, but it never went entirely
away until I swapped in another motherboard I had.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that for you, but definitely try messing
around with different RAM configurations. You might also try
reinstalling the original CPU card; maybe Linux isn't setting something
up correctly for the G4 card. (For example, maybe this doesn't apply,
but some Mac OS software needed to have the G3's speculative processing
turned off on machines that were originally based on 60x processors. I
think actually, in some cases, the firmware of the system itself was the
problem.)

What I'd love to see are some diagnostic packages that really
stress-test the hardware under the Linux OS, so it would be easier to
isolate hardware problems from configuration errors or buggy software. I
spent ages trying to track down that problem, thinking it was a
corrupted kernel or buggy X video driver, until I discovered a
correspondence between Netscape crashes and memory configurations on the
Mac OS side and finally began to narrow down the problem.