Signal 11

     I have had Woody installed for a couple of days now on my powerbase 180, which contains a powerlogix G4 upgrade card.  I am running the 2.4.18 kernel that came on the debian CD.  I have been having a lot of problems with programs dying with a signal 11.  This has happened frequently to the X server.  I have also had occassional difficulty getting the system to shut down properly.  Then it takes forever to get through fsck because fsck dies with signal 11 or signal 4 on practically every inode.  Incidently, fsck frequently wanted to change a normal looking inode size to some crazy 20-digit number.  I had to say "n" to a lot of its suggestions.  I have also had vi and ps fail with segmentation faults.  I decided to build my own kernel, which also took for ever because gcc died after every few sources with a signal 11.  I finally got through it.  BootX would not recognize the vmlinux file, but I was able to boot off the miboot.image file, which seems to be intended for a rescue floppy.  At any rate, there was no change in the system behavior.  I am contemplating wiping the disk and starting all over.  This is only a last resort, however, mainly because I had to run dselect about 20 times to get everything to install.  I'm not looking forward to doing that again.  Can anyone offer me a better idea?  Thanks.
Marvin Germain