what to do with linux.bin from 3.0 installer ?

Hey Folks,

I got a little bit further than I did yesterday.  I think what happened
was because I used my own kernel to boot, and the installer program
probably requires linux keycodes, it did not understand the keystrokes I
was typing.  I skipped the keyboard configuration step was able to go on
but I stopped after I was able to get past the partitioning menu ...

My question is: what do I do with the linux.bin file I got from debian's
site ?  When I select it using BootX, my 8500 just freezes.  If I try to
decompress it using mac gzip, or Stuffit Expander, both programs do not
recognize the file (and I made sure I downloaded them in binary format
from debian's ftp server).

So the question remains - what do I do with linux.bin so I can get it to
boot on my machine.  Alternatively, where can I find the ".config" file
that was used to compile this kernel, so I can roll my own copy of the
installation kernel ?

cheers
vinai