Re: PowerPC kernel repository (was: Woody on IBM RS/6000 7025 F50)

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:32:37 -0500 you wrote:

> I am currently trying to figure out how to make a single CDs that is
> bootable both on PREP and CHRP (IBM) systems. I have some anecdotal
> evidence that there is more to it than just pointing to the boot image
> from Open Firmware and/or setting up the /ppc/bootinfo.txt file
> correctly. Another issue is the 'prep-boot' and 'generic-boot' switches
> for the mkisofs command, which are used in creating PREP and CHRP
> bootable CDs, respectively; are mutually exclusive according to the man
> page.

It would undoubtedly be nice to have a single CD that starts a Debian
installer on both CHRP and PREP IBM systems, but in the interim, do you
have a CD image that would work on my RS/6000 7025 F50 (which is CHRP, as
far as I can tell on the evidence if its not booting the kernel on the
Debian PREP rescue disk, but I stand to be corrected if anyone knows
better)?  I've tried booting from floppies (no success at all), and
booting from the net (got to a very slow console on the serial port).
Might as well try burning a CD image and booting from CD, too...

Best regards,

|   George Karaolides                      Planitis Communications Ltd.,  |
|   tel:   +357 22 45 65 00              Office 102, 11 Florinis Street,  |
|   web:   www.planitis.net                             Nicosia CY 1065,  |
|   email: george.karaolides@planitis.net           Republic  of Cyprus.  |