Motorola MTX, ncr53c8xx scsi timeout during boot

(PREP, PPC-Bug -- not OF)

Using Chris Lawrence's mini-cd, it boots, runs through the normal linux
startup, correctly identifies the ncr53c875 SCSI controller (on the MB),
and then hangs with a timeout:

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
nc453c8xx_abort: pid=0 serial_number=1 serial_number_at_timeout=1 on controller 0, device 0

Controller 0, device 0 is the single scsi hard disk. However, since
I can still *boot* AIX from that disk I don't think I actually have
a hardware issue. The kernel identifies itself as 2.2.20PREP. Any
ideas/suggestions?

(Strangely, the I don't get the normal Debian boot/help screens -- it
does give me a chance to edit the boot parameters, but there doesn't
seem to be a way to boot an alternative kernel -- which I can do with
exactly the same cd image on my iBook.)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland