Re: startx on NuBus Mac gives Fatal server error

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 00:53, Clive Menzies wrote:
> I've got woody installed on a Mac8100/80 but can't get x started.
> Having read through the list I've done the following:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and set:
> fbdev
> /dev/input/mice
>
> I've no way of sending the whole log file at present but here's what
> seem to be the relevant details:
> (EE) xfOpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
> No such device

[...]

> I checked /dev/input/mice exists

'No such device' means there's no driver for it. I don't know if
/dev/input/mice is supported on Nubus Macs, maybe you need something like
/dev/adbmouse with the BusMouse protocol?

> Slightly worrying is that during configuration, when I confirm the
> video card as HPV Display Card, an error flashes by saying something
> about "Cannot find/open /proc/bus/pci" - I checked /proc/bus and it's
> empty.  I hadn't specified PCI:nn:nn:nn (left blank).  I tried to run
> lspci -v and got:
>
> Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
>
> So even if I resolve the mouse problem there is possibly another
> obstacle to getting X working?

I don't think so. Looks like your graphics chip isn't a PCI device, so you
don't need to provide a PCI bus ID because it obviously doesn't have one. :)