startx on NuBus Mac gives Fatal server error

I've got woody installed on a Mac8100/80 but can't get x started. Having read through the list I've done the following:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and set:
fbdev
/dev/input/mice

I've no way of sending the whole log file at present but here's what seem to be the relevant details:
(EE) xfOpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
No such device
(EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
No such device
(EE)PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
(WW) No core pointer registered
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
Error 	Can't find file "macintosh/uk" for symbols include
Exciting
Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
No core pointer

Fatal server error
failed to initialise core devices

I checked /dev/input/mice exists

Slightly worrying is that during configuration, when I confirm the video card as HPV Display Card, an error flashes by saying something about "Cannot find/open /proc/bus/pci" - I checked /proc/bus and it's empty. I hadn't specified PCI:nn:nn:nn (left blank). I tried to run lspci -v and got:

Cannot open /proc/bus/pci

So even if I resolve the mouse problem there is possibly another obstacle to getting X working?

TIA

--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited
strategies for business