Re: tiBook CPU speed
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: tiBook CPU speed
- From: Michael Furr <email@example.com>
- Date: 06 Aug 2002 13:18:58 -0400
- Message-id: <1028654338.27549.29.camel@apocalypse>
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <1028645443.27515.11.camel@apocalypse> <email@example.com>
On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 11:34, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Anyway, once that is merged with cpufreq, I'd rather let userland decide
> on policy of what to do with CPU speed. Something else we may want to
> implement is a way (sysctl ?) to control the ICTC (instruction cache
> throttling). This has the effect of slowing down instruction fetching
> by the CPU and lowering it's temperature & power consumption.
One possibility would be to include this support in the pmud utils to
create a more generic hardware monitoring daemon. Since I would hope
idle-time and overheating would be mutually exclusive, it shouldn't be
too hard to add in a modular fashion.
Perhaps I'll revisit this if/when these other features and implemented.