RE: Modems on PowerBook 3400

One more thing I've tried:
setserial /dev/modem irq22 port 0x3f8-0x3ff

Last time, I tried this on /dev/ttyS0. I thought I'd try this on
/dev/modem, even though it is a link the /dev/ttyS0.  I had the same
result... which is to say NOTHING (sorry for the scream... I'm
getting rather frustrated by this all).

I've read the fine manuals, or at least the ones that seem relevant;
I've tried linking, unlinking; I've tried searching my configuration; files, at
least the ones people have suggested since I don't know where else to
look;  I've even done a little dance.  Didn't work on the modem, but
it brought a lot of rain down on my in Vienna :-(

So, has anybody figure out how I can link my PCMCIA card to /dev/modem?
Or am I just going to have to stick with MacOS on this old machine and
wait until *gasp* I've converted to an x86?

Cheers,
Aaron