RE: Modems on PowerBook 3400

Okay.  Another feeble attempt.

First of all, it would appear that /etc/pcmcia.config is now /etc/default/pcmcia.  At least,
all of the options your pcmcia.config file suggested are there (e.g. PCMCIA="yes").  All the
settings were configured correctly.

Also, I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something totally stupid:
 When I type in "pon", I should hear my local dial tone, the DTMF tones of my ISP, a
 handshake, and then nothing.... right?  And if not for "pon", for "wvdial", right?

Okay, I'm still not having any luck, but I think I found a conflict.  Cardmgr and cardctl
seem to find my card with no problems.  My "cardctl status" is:

: Socket 0:
:   5V 16-bit PC Card
:  function 0: [ready], [bat dead], [bat low], [req attn]
: Socket 1:
:   no card

My "cardctl ident" is:

: Socket 0:
:   product info: "Global Village Communication, Inc.", "K56flex Modem", "K56flex Fax/Modem
: PC Card", "Una Mas!"
:   manfid: 0x018c, 0x0104
:   function: 2 (serial)
: Socket 1:
:   no product info available

I've added this information to my config.opts, substituting /product info/ with /card/.
Now, the only lines of value (value being anything other than "IN from bad port ### at
ca2c4xxx) in my "dmesg" is:

: isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
: Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP
: enabled
: ttyS00 at port 0x03f8 (irq = 22) is a 16450

When I type "cardctl insert", or when cardmgr
is started on bootup, between the first beep and the second beep, I get:

: panda:~# cardctl eject
: tty00 unloaded
: panda:~# cardctl insert
: panda:~# isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
: isapnp: No Plug & Play Device found
: Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS_SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP
: enabled
: ttyS00 at port 0x03f8 (irq = 22) is a 16450
: ttyS: 1 input overrun(s)
: Usage: getty (yadda yadda yadda)
: (getty spawns like a rabbit)

What I find interesting, though, is that my "cardctl config" is:

: Socket 0:
:   Vcc 5.0V  Vpp1 0.0V  Vpp2 0.0V
:   interface type is "memory and I/O"
:   irq 22 [exclusive] [level]
:   speaker output is enabled
:   function 0:
:     config base 0x1040
:       option 0x47 status 0x08 pin 0x00 ext 0x00
:     io 0x03f8-0x03ff [8bit]
: Socket 1:
:   not configured

To me, it looks like my actual serial port (printer/modem) on ttyS0 is sharing an interrupt
with my pcmcial modem.  Could this be why pon and wvdial can't ever find a modem?

In my naivity to GNU/Linux, what I really want to do is find the device to which my pcmcia
card is attached (so, for example /dev/pcmcia) and link it to /dev/modem.  Now, /dev/pcmcia
might be something like /dev/ttyS1 or who knows what else.  How do I find out what device my
pcmcia modem is?  Or am I just taking the wrong tack here in this line of thought?

I can feel that it's something close.  I just don't know what it is, so I keep overlooking
it.  The question is "what is _it_  ???".

Thanks, again, for any advice that's on offer.

Cheers,
Aaron