Re: Network Install won't connect

On   9 Jul, this message from Michel Dänzer echoed through cyberspace:
> On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 22:49, Colin Foran wrote:
>> >

>> > sorry I lost the beginning of the thread but check
>> >
>> >       cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
>> >
>> > which has to be '1' for successful ping.

Emm, no, has to be '0'. If '1', it _ignores_ icmp echo's.

>> Well this raises an interesting problem. vi seems totally shot on the base
>> install, i cant delete. so i tried to replace it with an icmp_echo_ignore_all
>> that i made on this computer, but it wont let me replace the file, as root.
>> someone up there just doesnt like me.
>> any ideas?
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all

... because everything under /proc are not regular files, but knobs,
buttons and control dials (so to speak...) that control or monitor how
your system is operating. They are presented to you in what appears as a
filesystem with more or less regular files in it.

If you have the rights, you can read and write these files as usual. But
using an editor is not such a good idea, because editors do a lot more
with files than just reading and writing (seeking, copying into temp
buffers, etc...).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |