Re: Can I use suse /dev dir. in debian /dev

> Adam wrote:
>
>> Can I use my suse-ppc /dev directory in debian?  suse has more devices
>> in the tree or does each distro use slightly different device drivers?

Don't confuse the device entries in /dev with real hardware.... having
one doesn't make the other appear automatically :)

Then, there is no valid reason for clobbering your /dev directory with
millions of device files for hardware you don't have.

So, stick with Debian's defaults, and add what you need, should anything
be missing. /dev/MAKEDEV is your friend.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |