Re: Voodoo3 2000 problems in Woody

I didn't know how far you went ;-) What WM/Environment do you use? I have a
problem with KDE's sound server causing my system to lock up (hard freeze,
reboot) once in a while. It's really bad with 2.4.x kernels, and there hasn't
been a solution that works that I've seen. I sent benh a few ksymoops
reports, and he sent me a patch, but it didn't do the trick. :-( I'm running
2.2.21-voodoo-patched right now, and I'm stable most of the time. I have to
stay away from aRTs (or however it's spelled) and I'm  okay.  Maybe disable
sound in KDE, or send sound to /dev/null, or disable sound drivers in your
kernel. ?

Me, I'd rather deal with occasional lockups than no sound. There might be a
fix for this in the 2.5/2.6 kernels, as I understand that the sound drivers
are being completely reworked.

Russell

On Monday 01 July 2002 23:24 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 23:14:01 -0400
>
> Russell Hires <rhires@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > setup going at http://v.favrenicolin.free.fr/linuxppc/linuxppc-tdfx.php3
>
> Note the reference below to RTFM'ing, been there and done that, it loads,
> works for period of time, and locks up, I have yet to find an answer to the
> problem, trust me, Had I not done some digging myself, I would never bother
> the fine people on this list with this problem.
>
> 			--Shawn
>
> > On Monday 01 July 2002 19:40 pm, Shawn Dunn wrote:
> > > This is a repost from a bit ago, all I really want to know, is WILL
> > > THIS CARD WORK?  I mean, if the only suggestion you have is RTFM, I've
> > > been rtfm'ing the crap outta stuff trying to get it to work, with no
> > > luck, I never recived ANY sort of response the first time, and after
> > > talking to Mr Branden Robinson, he said to resort to threats, and to
> > > mention something about already going to "Overfiend" and that the list
> > > members would know about it  =]
> > >
> > > Anyhoo, Repost following.....
> > >
> > > 				--Shawn

> > > Hey there all, I've got a performa 6360 here, running woody, with a
> > > Voodoo3 2000 PCI in it, works great with fbdev, but I'd really like to
> > > use an accelerated X-server, so I built a custom 2.4.18 kernel with the
> > > tdfx drivers, pass the tdfx options to the kernel in BootX, and it
> > > starts up fine, console is working great (yes, I know about the Bug
> > > with the driver, DO NOT switch between X and console once you start X,
> > > verymuchbad) that being said, the first startup, after reconfiguring
> > > XF86Config-4, starts up fine, and then I startup an App, and it's ok,
> > > then I fire up the e-mail client, and boom, it locks up, requiring a
> > > hard reboot, locks up so bad that the precautionary ssh session from
> > > another machine dies.  reboot, fsck, restart X, locks up before the
> > > screen redraw, reboot, fsck, remove all the .* X-related files and
> > > directories in my ~/ directory, X fires up, runs fine all night, I get
> > > up this morning, fire up gabber, it locks up again.    The only modules
> > > I'm currently loading for XFree are the font modules (freetype, speedo,
> > > etc.)  no DRI, no GLCore, no glx.   Anybody else had these problems?
> > > I mean, I can use this machine with fbdev, but the X experience is
> > > rather less enjoyable.
> > >

> > > 					--Shawn
> >
> > - --
> > Linux -- the OS for the Renaissance Man