Re: Can't get sound on my G4 500mz working with alsa

Ceaserina,
   You have to manually build the alsa-modules for 0.9 and install
them yourself. I don't know if you are running woody or sid but
in either case you should definitely update all of your alsa packages
to the sid version since it is much newer. You will also need
the kernel source for the kernel you are running. However if you
are going to build alsa modules you might as well grab the latest
linuxppc_2_4 or benh kernel tree and build new kernels from that.
Basically a recipe for all of this would be...as your user account...

cd linux-2.4-benh
make config
make dep
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision cf.1

su
make-kpkg binary

..those steps will get you a set of kernel packages to install.
If you are already building kernels you could have used the
previous .config from the tree and did a 'make oldconfig' instead
of 'make config' which limits the questions to new features in
the tree. After installing the new kernel and rebooting you need
to do the following...

su
cd /usr/src/modules
rm -fr alsa-driver_0.9.0rc1-2
tar -zxf ../alsa-driver.tar.gz
mv modules/alsa-driver alsa-driver_0.9.0rc1-2
rmdir modules

...cd into linux-2.4-benh again

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision cf.1 modules

...you will now have alsa-modules to install. Remember these modules
are tied to the kernel you have installed. If you update your kernel
sources and build it with a new subversion number (say cf.2 instead
of cf.1) you'll need to rebuild your alsa modules again with that
subversion number as well. You will most likely see the modules attempt
to start up and fail the first time. You will need to do the following...

cd /etc/modutils/arch
vi powerpc.pmac

and add...

alias snd-card-0	snd-powermac

...to that file. If you have...

alias /dev/sound	dmasound_pmac

...in there comment that out. Now do a update-modules to cause
a new /etc/modules.conf to be created. Assuming you want the
alsa oss compatibility layer to be available as well you will
want to edit /etc/alsa/alsa-base.conf and make sure you have

startosslayer=true

in that file. Now if you do...

cd /etc/init.d
./alsa restart

That should case alsa to properly load the snd-powermac driver.
Let me know if you have any trouble with this protocol for setting
up alsa 0.9.
                      Jack