Re: need help with bug#89693: superformat on powerpc

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 01:23:18PM +0200, Jochen Voss wrote:

> it states that many commands from the fdutils package
> (for example superformat and getfdprm) fail with the
> error message "Unknown error 515".  Could somebody check
> whether this is reproducible with the current fdutils
> package from unstable (fdutils-5.4-20020222-2) and a
> current kernel?

I think this might in part be due to bugs in the swim3 (pmac) floppy
driver.   In a PPC with a 'standard' PC floppy:
# getfdprm
DS HD sect=18
# setfdprm -p /dev/fd0 7
Usage: setfdprm [-c] [-p] [-y] [-n] drive [geometry]
Type setfdprm --help to get a more complete help
# floppycontrol -P
    disk_writable
spinup=         10690
select=         10690
first_read=     0
probed_fmt=     0
cylinder=       -3
maxblock=       200
maxcylinder=    1
generation=     1
keep data=      0
refs=           1
device=         0
last_checked=   10990
# floppycontrol --pollstate
    disk_writable
spinup=         19983
select=         19983
first_read=     0
probed_fmt=     0
cylinder=       0
maxblock=       200
maxcylinder=    1
generation=     1
keep data=      0
refs=           1
device=         0
last_checked=   19985
# floppycontrol --print werror
can't open floppy drive: No such file or directory
Usage: floppycontrol ....
[Note, this happens on my x86 box as well]
# floppycontrol --tracks=80
# echo $?
0

The second part of the bug report is (was, even) a known bug with the
swim3 code which has since been fixed and I believe 2.4.19 will work
correctly in that case.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/