Re: new iBook 700 LCD / ohci1394 driver.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 10:15:29AM +0100, William R Sowerbutts wrote:
> My initial scheme for installing debian was to put the new iBook into firewire
> target mode (hold down "T" as the system boots), connect it up to my old
> iBook, and then partition, format, and copy from the old iBook to the new one
> over firewire.
  A good plan.

> Using Ben's kernel 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 I didn't seem to be able to get the
> ieee1394 driver to recognise the iBook "target". I had the relevant modules
> loaded (I think) -- 1394, OHCI1394, SPB2, SCSI, SCSI hard disk -- but
> repeatedly plugging the target in produced no response on the old iBook (no
> kernel messages) and then rmmod'ing the ohci1394 module caused a kernel
> panic. Ooops.
  The 1394 code in the newer BenH kernels doesn't seem to fondle the scsi
layer like it used to.  I thought it was a problem too, until I tried
running the rescan-scsi-bus.sh I pulled from somewhere. That alerted the
SCSI layer that the drive was there, and all is well.
 As for the oops, I'd suggest throwing "rmmod sbp2 ohci1394 ieee1394" in my
/etc/power/pwrctl(right filename?) so I don't have to worry about putting
the system to sleep, or having it doze on it's own.
  I don't know if there is a problem keeping ohci1394 from being able to
sleep properly, or if it's just a matter of nobody having done it yet.
Anyone care to comment?

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi.  Unfortunately,
they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming."