xfree86 with nvidia card, ppc woody

Has anybody gotten xfree up and running with an nvidia card, with the latest ppc woody version? The nvidia driver does not come with the package installation, I've also read in various posts that the nvidia stuff was broken some time in the 4.1.x. I found a possible solution w/ xeasyconfig, it talks about nvidia support and supplies a link to a driver:
http://tuxppc.org/projects/xeasyconf/

unfortunately, it's a xfree86 4.2 solution, which I cannot successfully build from scratch for the life of me.

I also tried all kinds of vga driver variations in the config file with no luck.

thanks
Scott