Re: Lower-latency kernels?

On   2 Jun, this message from Christian Jaeger echoed through cyberspace:
> I'm quite a bit tired of all those 20-second-or-so almost-freeze
> times when untarring a big file, filtering a bunch of mails in Eudora
> under MOL, etcetc, just because the kernel 2.4.18 virtual memory
> infrastructure is paging, sorting and freeing memory or whatever and
> meanwhile also blocking processes from running that aren't involved
> in the memory stuff (and hey, I'm having 256MB, so it's not so little
> ok?).

:) I also think that the IDE layer is a big player in this trouble...

> So my question:
>
> What are your experiences on PPC with the various lowlatency,
> preemption and maybe also O(1)scheduler patches?
> Which ones are working, or crashing, and which is the best for my situation?

I have looked towards the Gentoo Linux kernels, as on the i386 side they
seem to include a nice mix of 'advanced features' not yet in Linus'
kernels.

On ppc, Gentoo includes essentially only Andrea Arcangeli's low latency
patch (00_lowlatency-fixes-5 fron kernel.org/people/aa somewhere), which
I'm using on two machines now.

Doesn't remove _all_ perceived slownesses and freezes, but helps a good
deal. And worked without problems so far for me....

I had also looked at some of the other patches floating around, notably
the preemptive kernel, but that one needs porting to the PPC. Any
volounteers around?

The O(1) scheduler touched some of the same files as aa's lowlat patch
in the fs layer, so I didn't dare apply that as well...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |