Re: Success with IBM JDK 1.3.0 for PPC _WITH_ JIT

"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> writes:

> You prefer VBscript and ActiveX controls then? That's what you
> encourage. Java must run everywhere, else we have no argument
> against 100% Microsoft solutions.

Ah, of course I don't.  I prefer none of those.

> What is so bad about Java and Flash anyway?

Well, Java is slow and uses too much memory (on my laptop), so I have
it disabled.  Flash is bad since I can't even run it on my machine.  I
have many more problems with flash, especially since it seems to be
used much more often than Java.

> You hate animations? That's your problem. Don't load any images
> either.

Well, I don't always hate animations ;) Unfortunately, loading images
is pretty necessary currently.  Flash and Java are *not*, in my
experience.  Loading images doesn't require proprietary software, so
the comparison isn't quite the same.  My problem is not with the
animations, but the proprietary software (flash, mostly) which does
*NOT* run on my machine.

> Security worries? This is why we need LGPL interpreters for Java and
> Flash. In any case, Java sure beats doing an "xhost +" or using Wine
> to run a *.exe file.

> Crashes? Same deal: we need LGPL interpreters.

I agree with both of these points, and I wish they were available.
(Flash in particular)  The GPL flash software out there works quite
well for older flash.  Perhaps some effort should be put into
enhancing this?

> Windows that pop open when you close them? If you have the source
> code, you can add an option to prevent this. Better yet, you could
> have the browser offer to disable Java/Flash/Javascript for any site
> that appears to have bad behavior.

Well, I have popups disabled for all sites, so that's not really an issue.

> Email that lets a spammer know you have read it?  The obvious
> solution is to limit remote site access in email, and don't use a
> web-mail service that doesn't offer filtering.

...And don't read HTML mail, since it's always spam =)

> Really, I think you're helping Microsoft. Imagine all your favorite
> web sites needing VBscript.

Of course that would be bad!  Imagine all your favorite sites *not*
needing Java, Flash, Javascript...now that would be nice :)

--
Josh Huber                                   | huber@debian.org |