Re: slows to a crawl when hard drive is in use

>I've also been running my iBook with interrupts unmasked for many months
>without problems.
>
>Is it possible to get UDMA66 working on the iBook?  My version of the kernel
>configures the drive for UDMA33. I did try forcing it to UDMA66 using hdparm,
>and it utterly toasted the filesystem ;(  I doubt it makes a major difference
>to the performance, but it'd be nice to get it working.
>
>Ben -- is it just accurate timings for the chipset that are required to get
>UDMA66 working? Do you need access to the iBook hardware or would it be
>possible to gather them with the assistance of an iBook owner?

Don't touch the timings. ide-pmac will setup proper timings depending
on the drive and the controller revision. If you think someting is
wrong, then send me what dmesg says along with a tarball of your
/proc/device-tree

On the other hand, it's perfectly safe (and recommended) to enable
unmasking of irqs.

I doubt 32 bits IOs will have any effect (I'm not sure it's properly
supported by the HW; but you shouldn't care with DMA anyway).

Ben.