Re: Netbooting

[ Still on this list, but I've been busy with other stuff ]

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 18:23, Russell Hires wrote:

> Hello, this in reference to something on the debian-powerpc list that you did
> in October 2001. I've successfully netbooted, but now I want to mount my /
> directory (partition? I've only got / and /usr as partitions) from the server
> to the client so that the client can run in a diskless fashion. I've followed
> the instructions on the penguinppc.org site dealing with netbooting and
> having root be nfs root, but it doesn't work. The error I get just says that
> it can't be mounted. I've properly compiled my 2.4.17 kernel for nfs and so
> forth, but I'm still not having any luck. Do you have any ideas?

Hm, that's not too much information to go on.  But if you're at least
able to get a kernel booted, then this isn't really PowerPC specific.

The main documentation is in linux/Documentation/nfsroot.txt.  That
should answer all your questions.

Make sure you build NFS client support into the kernel (not as a
module).