Re: Partimage CD boots on my PowerMac while Debian don't

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 09:15:48AM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> I've found another boot CD which boots on my b&w G3 while no Debian CD
> does: It's "partimage-imac-0.7.0-rc1-bootcd-1.iso.bz2" from Partimage.
>
> Could anyone who understands making boot CD's analyze what's the
> difference between Partimage and Debian CD's? Since Partimage provides
> sources it should be possible. I'd be rather nice if released Woody CD
> would solve this problem.

A CD should be bootable on a NewWorld if it has a 'blessed'
folder. And in order for the blessing to work, the folder needs to
have a Mac-System- type file. The 'blessing' is setting an attribute
in the Mac desktop database for that folder. You can find code in
hfsutils.

If you mount the CD in MacOS, it should show the folder icon of the
blessed folder with a little Mac on it, same with the system-type
file inside.

If you mount the Debian CDs in MacOS, do they not show 'install' as
the blessed folder and 'yaboot' as the system type file?

Which Debian CDs are we talking about? There was one version that wasn't
bootable but it was supposedly corrected.

Also, Macs do not ordinarily boot from a bootable CD just because it's
present in the drive. You can force it to boot from a bootable CD by
holding 'C' as it's starting, or setting the CD as the startup disk in
the Startup Disk control panel.