problems with pump and airport

I used dhclient. Now everybody was talking about pump so I tried it.

The problem is I can use pump only once to configure my eth1 (airport). Then I have to reboot...

A bit more specific:

When i boot, configuring eth1 fails because I use WEP (can anybody tell me the offical way, how/where to use iwconfig for startup, I guess that has something to do with /etc/network/if-pre-up.d ?)

When the system is booted I use iwconfig manually.
Then I ifdown and ifup eth1, and it works ...

BUT when I now ifdown eth1 and try ifup eth1 again, it fails ...

Specifically pump -i eth1 fails ...

/etc/init.d/networking restart fails too ...

But when I reboot and then repeat the first steps it works again!

(I feel quite embarassed to have to reboot, I mean this is linux... ?)

The strange thing is when I switch back to using dhclient, everything works fine...

The problem I have with dhclient is, I cant figure out how to configure the timeout ... I created /etc/dhclient.conf with the line timeout xx; but the values in xx doesent seem to have an influence ...

anybody any hints?
thanks
jonas