Re: iBook and playing DVDs

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 13:33, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On May 16 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > The problem is that the XVideo extension is very simple (it was
> > basically designed to display single images with colorspace
> > conversion and scaling, nothing more),
>
> 	Which means it was not meant really for videos in the sense of
> 	a sequence of frames?

I wouldn't say it wasn't meant for that, but I think the things we worry
about today were far from possible when it was conceived.

> > Things are probably better with XvMC.
>
> 	But will it depend on the idct and mc specifications of the
> 	chips?

No, XvMC was originally designed for that but it also supports
non-accelerated surfaces.

In contrast, Xv definitely can't take advantage of those chip features;
XvMC is a must for that.

> 	If yes, then it would probably be a problem with the r128,
> 	right?

The problem right now is that there's no XvMC driver for r128 yet.