Re: Woody installation on IBM 44P-170 - really close

El mié, 15-05-2002 a las 12:53, Rolf Brudeseth escribió:
> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 01:41:54PM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:
> >> I believe I am really close to getting Debian working on an IBM 44P-170
> >> workstation.
> >>
> >> I made a combined boot/root image. The kernel is 2.4.18 from kernel.org,
> >> while the root image is from Debian. I used the default power3 config
> file
> >> (power3_defconfig).
> >>
> >> Root image:
> >>
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/chrp/root.bin
>
> No, I actually used:
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/chrp/images-1.44/root.bin
>

> >> 02-Apr-2002
> >>
> >> I download the boot/root image from Open Firmware via BOOTP. It starts
> up
> >> the installation routine. I am able to successfully partition/format the
> >> hard drive.
>
> > It'll be great if you can write up the steps required to get here.
>
> Well, I was not planning to get into this yet, but since you brought up the
> subject of documentation, here it comes.
>
> I am soon going on vacation. I will be back June 13th. Then I plan to
> submit bugs or post to the various Debian news groups where I will document
> issues, suggestions, solutions, etc (if still unresolved), such as:
>
> - It appears that powerpc Woody will be released with kernel 2.2 and not
> 2.4. I suspect that there is limited support for IBM CHRP/PREP systems in
> the 2.2 kernel. I will investigate and document this.

> - Apparently there is a bug in the version of glibc that Debian is using,
> which will prevent Debian from running the 64 bit kernel on the IBM CHRP
> systems. I will investigate and document this.

If your refer to memset's problems, they were solve with glibc > 2.1.
In my experience, when I installed base files on a new partition
on SuSE I downloaded base files from potato, chroot died when
it needed libc6.  With alien, I changed libc6-*-2.2.4 and nscd
from unstable and all worked fine since then.

AFAIK, the minimum glibc on Woody will be 2.2.4-4.

--
German Poo Caaman~o
mailto:gpoo@ubiobio.cl