Re: pmud options quirk

On May 05 2002, Michel Lanners wrote:
> In fact, I think it is the head assembly moving to the parking
> position that makes the loud 'click' noise.

	Yes, I think it is the same thing with mine, but I am
	wondering if it had to go to the parking position so
	frequently.

	I'd love to know if there is any acoustic calibration program
	to set the trade-off between speed and noise out there... Of
	course, I'd expect it to be manufacturer and model dependent.

> > 	That's good. I didn't investigate what was happening, but I
> > 	guess that I'll do so when I have some spare time.
>
> It's not that easy to see what happens. I tried to find
> accessed/modified files with find -atime/-ctime, but that didn't
> show a lot...

	Well, is asapm a graphical applet? I'm using window maker and
	I use wmapm. We may compare them to see which one is more
	battery-friendly.

> >> - switch back to ext2 from ext3 (ext3 prevents the HD from spinning
> >>   down)
> >
> > 	I'm using ext3 (with noatime). I'll test it with ext2 to see
> > 	the effects. But read below my comments on noatime.

	Ooops! Sorry to make an ass of myself, but I was using ext3 on
	my *other* laptop, not this one. And really, ext3 does prevent
	the HD from spinning down.

	I discovered this because I tried to compile mplayer with
	direct access to hardware (to see if I could get the damned
	DVDs being played with this iBook) and it crashed. Then, on
	the next boot, e2fsck run on my filesystem. :-( Duh...

	Now, I am using ext3 here and it does prevent the HD from
	spinning down.

	Sorry for spreading misinformation. I should be shot.

> Anybody know how noflushd's spin-down compares/interacts with what
> pmud does in pwrctl?

	Still haven't investigated that. :-(

> > 	I always use noatime and I don't seem to have problems with
> > 	that. But I do notice that the HD spins down when I'm on
> > 	battery, even though I'm using ext3.
>
> And it stays spun down for longer periods of time?

	With ext2, of course. :-)

> > 	Well, I do think that atime/ctime/mtime are metadata, but are
> > 	they changed for device nodes? I thought that device nodes
> > 	were special in respect to that (but I have never read any
> > 	code to support my claim).
>
> If I knew :). I'm now running devfs, without any problem so far
> (touch wood...).

	With ext2? :-)

> For those who want to take the plunge: enabling devfs in the kernel
> (but _not_ automounting it), and installing the devfsd .deb,
> configuring /etc/default/devfsd to do the mount, did the trick for
> me.

	Well, I guess that I'll try it to see how it works, then. :-)

> Whatever happened to that site that wanted to collect
> laptop-specific tips&tricks for Mac hardware? Is taht alive
> somewhere?

	It is, but I haven't had time to update it to incorporate some
	comments that I received. It also may be incorrect in some
	points.

	I don't think you will find anything interesting for your
	case, since it was aimed at novice users. Anyway, I'd love if
	I could have more feedback on that.

	It's address is <http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/notebooks/>.

	[]s, Roger...