Re: pmud options quirk

Hey,

On   5 May, this message from Rogério Brito echoed through cyberspace:
> On May 05 2002, Michel Lanners wrote:
>> I've recently gotten a new HD for my TiBook (40 Gig :), which makes
>> relatively loud noise when moving the head.
>
> 	What is the manufacturer of your HD?

This one is a Fujitsu MHR2040AT. It's about 30% faster than the original
Toshiba MK1016GAP (10Gig). Idle nois is at least as low as the Toshiba;
but head movement is louder. In fact, I think it is the head assembly
moving to the parking position that makes the loud 'click' noise.

>> At first, it did that every five seconds, which, as you can imagine,
>> is unsupportable after a few minutes.
>
> 	Indeed. The same reaction that I had.

Hehe :)

>> I've since tried to find what accesses the disk every five seconds, and
>> come to the combination pmud with APM emulation/asapm.
>
> 	That's good. I didn't investigate what was happening, but I
> 	guess that I'll do so when I have some spare time.

It's not that easy to see what happens. I tried to find
accessed/modified files with find -atime/-ctime, but that didn't show a
lot...

>> While we're at it, does anybody have other ideas to eliminate disk
>> acceses? I've already done these:
>>
>> - switch back to ext2 from ext3 (ext3 prevents the HD from spinning
>>   down)
>
> 	I'm using ext3 (with noatime). I'll test it with ext2 to see
> 	the effects. But read below my comments on noatime.
>
>> - install noflushd
>
> 	Did that already.

Anybody know how noflushd's spin-down compares/interacts with what pmud
does in pwrctl?

>> - remount with noatime while on battery
>
> 	I always use noatime and I don't seem to have problems with
> 	that. But I do notice that the HD spins down when I'm on
> 	battery, even though I'm using ext3.

And it stays spun down for longer periods of time?

>> In particular, how about devfs? I'd suppose having devfs in memory
>> saves the atime/ctime/mtime changes on the /dev FS nodes (which is
>> metadata to the FS, right?)?
>
> 	Well, I do think that atime/ctime/mtime are metadata, but are
> 	they changed for device nodes? I thought that device nodes
> 	were special in respect to that (but I have never read any
> 	code to support my claim).

If I knew :). I'm now running devfs, without any problem so far (touch
wood...). For those who want to take the plunge: enabling devfs in the
kernel (but _not_ automounting it), and installing the devfsd .deb,
configuring /etc/default/devfsd to do the mount, did the trick for me.

> 	Ok, I know that I'm not helping, but I am just trying to see
> 	the similarities between our systems.

Whatever happened to that site that wanted to collect laptop-specific
tips&tricks for Mac hardware? Is taht alive somewhere?

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |