Re: run cron rsync if eth0 = 10.0.0.200

A bit off-topic here, but anyway...

On   9 May, this message from Rory Campbell-Lange echoed through cyberspace:
> Is it possible to allow a particular host to connect and run an rsync
> session without a password, without running rsync on the server in
> daemon mode? I'm using rsync over ssh.

Yes, run ssh with public key authentication instead of password
authentication. man ssh / man sshd.

You can have a key with no passphrase for this, so you can connect
totally passwordless from A to B. Or better, use something like keychain
to start an ssh-agent that can provide the key (man ssh-agent and a
google for keychain).

Cheers

Michel

PS in ssh2, you can also assign fixed commands server-side to certain
keys, so if someone connects with a specific key, they can only execute
one specific command. Should be in the ssh/sshd man pages.

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |