Arrgh: maybe pmud-utils was a really bad idea.

Yikes,

Until an hour ago, I was a really happy Linux user. But then, my system became unusable -- it won't complete the bootup sequence. Now, at the very end of the messages that scroll by... the screen goes blank and the speaker beeps at me erratically. Every time I boot up.

Here's how I think I must have hose my system: It's a desktop G4 (a new Quicksilver 800 MHz), and was working fine until I began my search to try and get Linux to perform some version of the Mac-style "sleep", as I'd like to leave my system on at night, but leave the fan quietly off.

I didn't know how to get sleep mode to work, but searching around the mailing lists and web-sites, I stumbled upon references to the "snooze" command, and the packages powerpc-utils and pmud-utils. It turns out i already had powerpc-utils installed, and I had no snooze command. I looked up pmud-utils on the http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and it wasn't listed. Hmmm. Just for fun, I tried "apt-get install pmud-utils" anyway, and lo and behold it began downloading. Okay, whatever.

I walked away from my machine as the downloading completed. Moments later, the speaker was beeping at me continuously, and the keyboard was locked. I forced a reboot, but as reported, I could never get to the command line: just beeping and a locked keyboard.

Okay, so I'm guessing it was really a bad idea to install pmud-utils on my desktop machine. ;-(

Can someone offer advice how to clean up my system and de-install pmud-utils knowing that I don't even have a command line? I suppose I could mount my system under the mini-installation system to gain me access to the files on my broken system, but I don't know how to make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks for any help!

(And incidentally, since pmud-utils was obviously not a wise choice, what *should* I be using to get sleep mode working, assuming I can get Linux up and operating?)

-- Bill