Strange behaviour of an usb printer with cups

I have installed the package cups on two computers, a pc and an iMac
rev.B@233; on both of them I am running Debian/unstable with kernel 2.4.18.
My aim is to use the same printer, an Epson StylusColor 580, alternatively on
both of them, trough their usb port. On the pc, even if I have made not a lot
of tries, it seems that there are no problems. On the iMac instead there's
some strangeness: first of all, I can print only using 'lp' and not with
'lpr', that I can normally use on the pc. Then the real strangeness: If I
print doing nothing on the iMac, the result of printing is ok. But if I make
some other operations on the iMac while I am printing, after some pages the
printer becomes crazy and starts to prints only few lines for each sheet, or
it does not print anything more, only going on to load sheets without writing
anything.
My thoughts is that there is some problem related to the fact that both the
printer and the usb keyboard are connected to two usb ports that use the same
usb controller. Am I right and, if so, is there any solution to this problem?
Bye.
          Rick