Re: TiBook's hard disk goes noisy, down, and never up again

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:00:55PM +0200, Thomas Seyrat wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I've been facing a strange problem three times today : the 20GB hard
>   disk of my 550MHz TiBook made a very noisy sound (like some sort of
>   brutal spin down), obviously went down, and ... never up : at that
>   moment I could not perform any kind of disk access (sync stays hanged,
>   I can not run any command, etc.). The only solution was to power-cycle
>   the machine, after which everything goes fine again ... till next hang
>   of the hard disk (3 times today).

A loud click, then spinning sound? That's the way my iMac drive started to
fail. When it was cold, it would be OK for an hour or so, then it would
start the racket and anything that was executing would get interrupted.

I managed to get most of the data off of it, when it was actively reading
it would avoid the hitch.