TiBook's hard disk goes noisy, down, and never up again

  Hi,

  I've been facing a strange problem three times today : the 20GB hard
  disk of my 550MHz TiBook made a very noisy sound (like some sort of
  brutal spin down), obviously went down, and ... never up : at that
  moment I could not perform any kind of disk access (sync stays hanged,
  I can not run any command, etc.). The only solution was to power-cycle
  the machine, after which everything goes fine again ... till next hang
  of the hard disk (3 times today).

  I have been using this machine extensively for the past two weeks,
  from the moment I bought it, and never experienced this problem. I am
  running a stock 2.4.19-pre7 kernel, Debian unstable, had no trouble of
  this kind ever since today, and the hangs did not occur while the
  machine was idle (so it's not power management, I guess). I am running
  pmud, but I do not know if it has some hard disk saving features,
  apart from spin down at suspend ...

  I've heard that the TiBook's hard disks were known to easily break.
  Some people told me though that this could be simply a software
  problem and recommended me to try a benh kernel ... although I never
  had a problem with this plain one.

  Has any of you had trouble with the TiBook's hard disk ? Should I try
  some other non-experimental (or more experimental ;) kernel to avoid
  more random hangs ?

  Thanks,

--
Thomas Seyrat.