Re: Installing Debian on Powermac 7200/75

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:36:30AM -0700, Fletcher Bonds wrote:
> Does anyone have this config?  Does it work okay?

Lots of people use the 7200. Its OpenFirmware is buggy, and you
only have access to OF through the serial console. This doesn't
sound like it would be a problem for you. (Normal installs don't
need to get in OF anyway).

If you hook up with a serial console, use 38400 instead of 9600.

> Also, I'm intending to use this box without keyboard, mouse and monitor and just drive it with an xwindows app from another machine.  Will the powermac POST allow me to do this or will it freak if it doesn't have these periphs plugged into it when it tries to boot?

When a mac boots without its monitor, the video output gets turned off.
However you can still go in from the network with say a screen sharing
app, and see the desktop, use the cursor, etc so I think it should be
no problem for that.

> Also, I run a couple of sun boxes the same way.  When I do the solaris os install on these, I do it in command line mode via a null modem cable between my pc and the sun using Tera Term.  Is it possible to install Debian this way and can that be done with a Mac?

I have done a powerpc serial install with woody and it works. Just use
38400 instead of the standard 9600, that's the 'native' serial speed
(at least it was on a 9500, I assume it will be the same here). I was
using 9600, and after it booted I could barely get any keystrokes
through because it was still doing 38400.

> Thanks in advance.

Welcome!