Re: Audio Problems on an iBook

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 11:59:45AM +0100, Gareth Bowker wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I've got an iBook which every so often seems to go a bit haywire in
> the audio department. When I open the lid, so the machine comes out of
> suspend, most times everything's fine. Every once in a while, I'll get
> a load of static come out of the left speaker. Other times, it seems that
> the microphone comes on (afaict it doesn't work at other times :/) at full
> gain and gets into a feedback loop. In eith case the only option is a
> reboot.

If you have the driver configured as a module, removing and reloading
dmasound_pmac might make the noise go away. For me, sometimes suspending
and resuming again will also make it go away.

> Is this a problem with the audio drivers or is it more likely to be a
> hardware issue?
> The machine's a new (bought just before Christmas) 12.1" iBook with one of
> those horrible softmodems.

It's been happening quite frequently as of late on my 1st generation
iBook2 - it tends to occur at least once a week (most recent was
Tuesday, in a library - gack!), although for me it's a rapid clicking
noise instead of static or a feedback whistle. (I suppose it could be
feedback with a 1/4 second time delay.) I've taken to carrying a stereo
plug to insert into the headphone jack when the clicks start, since the
driver turns off the speakers when something is connected to the jack.

This comes up on the list once every few months. Last I heard the driver
maintainer was unable to reproduce it on his TiBook.

I've not seen it happen in MacOS, but then again, I've probably spent
less than 6 hours with MacOS running on the bare metal.

--
William Aoki     waoki@umnh.utah.edu       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
3B0A 6800 8A1A 78A7 9A26 BB92              \ /  No HTML in mail or news!