Re: fickle backlight goes off permanently

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 08:25:27PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 18:05, Ali Bahar wrote:
>
> > the backlight of my ibook has become increasingly fickle over the last
> > 10 days. It turns off with slight movements or with slight tilts of
> > the screen, and does so permanently: fblevel, or /sbin/backlight, do
> > not undo it; only a reboot does.
>
> I had what sounds like the same problem with my TiBook.  I eventually
> sent it to Apple repair, and it took them about two weeks to get back to
> me, but they did fix it (under warranty).

For the record, here's an update:

  the apple service centre said that there is a problem with "the
  inverter board". They, too, did not see the problem in osx. But they
  tried it in os9, and immediately saw it. They hooked up an external
  display 'directly to the motherboard', and it was fine -- and so
  concluded that the motherboard is fine!

BTW, I finally mailed the driver authors. SO far they have not
replied. But I totally understand if they don't want to tackle
this. It's a hw problem and, besides, perhaps *I* ought to be learning
and fixing this. ;-)

thanks,
ali

--
   Give a kid connectivity, and he'll download porn in no time flat!