Re: Cannot open mouse (No such &c.

Had typed Jean-Francois Gobin, in part:

> I had the same problem. However, here's how I managed to help myself.
> cd /dev
> rm mouse
> ln input/mice mouse
> cd /etc/X11
> <edit XF86Confg and change device "/dev/mouse" by device "/dev/gpmdata",
> Protocol "MouseSystems" (? not sure of this one)>
> gpm -R -t ps2
> startx

    This worked for me...conditionally.  X *did* launch, which was nice, and
I actually saw some of the GNOME icons on the desktop for a second.  Then, I
touched my spacebar and the desktop shifted, the icons disappeared, and now
my input devices don't seem to do doodley-squat.  I guess I've slid around
on my virtual desktop, but now I seem to be stuck wherever I am.
    Should I try different Protocols?  How would I modify that last shell
command if I did?

Michel Dänzer had pointed out that:

> This is bad. If /dev/input/mice doesn't exist: cd /dev; MAKEDEV input
> ...Better use /dev/input/mice directly with protocol ImPS/2 for both gpm
> and X.

    I did try to interpret Michel's suggestions, but X complained that it
didn't recognise the protocol ImPS/2 (nor any typographical variation I came
up with).  I may not have correctly understood which parts of Jean-Francois'
advice to replace with Michel's.

And Rogério Brito told me:

> Just upgrade to woody and life will be much simpler. I second
> Chris's advice here.

    I had initially chosen potato just because I'm a relative newbie and
liked the association with the word "stable", but I'm realising that that's
a pretty woosy approach for a so-called "experimental" box.
    What's the smartest way to upgrade?  Can I do it entirely through HTTP?
Does anyone else with a 9600 want to issue any dire warnings before I try
this?

    Thanks for everyone's advice so far.  It helps.  Great list.

            matthew frederick davis h.