Re: Making a bootable CD for newworlds?

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 09:45:12PM -0300, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
> On Apr 05 2002, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 04:21:24AM -0300, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
> > > 	I would like to thank everybody that replied. I have now read
> > > 	a good deal of documentation on generating the bootable CD,
> > > 	but I still have some questions:
> > >
> > > 	1 - After I create a blessed directory (with the -hfs-bless
> > > 	    option of mkisofs) containing yaboot, yaboot.conf, vmlinux
> > > 	    and a ramdisk suitable, how will OpenFirmware know that
> > > 	    upon pressing "c" it will have to load yaboot? Is it
> > > 	    because the pair type/creator of yaboot is boot/UNIX?
> > >
> > > 	2 - is the ofboot.b file necessary for booting?
> >
> > Did you ever figure this all out, and do you have a working script?
>
> 	Hi there, Chris.
>
> 	I'm sorry for this taking so long, but only now I had the
> 	opportunity to fiddle with this once more.

OK, well your timing is impeccable. I just finished hacking up Eduard's
mini-iso.sh so everything is fresh in my mind.

> 	The answer is "well, more or less".
>
> 	First of all, ofboot.b _is_ necessary for booting and it has
> 	to have the proper type/creator code. It is a (text) file
> 	containing an open firmware script. It is this file that tells
> 	OpenFirmware to load yaboot for the boot process to continue.

This is good to know. I'll have to add it to the script. Is the type
code tbxi? Because I think that's the critical thing, besides the
folder blessing, that will let it load at boot.

ybin sets ofboot's type to tbxi, or if the boot menu is not being used,
it sets yaboot's type itself to tbxi. So you might try that too.
Probably it will confuse the machine if there are 2 files with that type
in the blessed folder.