Re: Install on a PowerMacintosh 7200/90

Hello!

I installed Debian Woody to my PowerMac 7200/90 just yesterday. I booted from boot-floppy, and then switched root-floppy to disk drive. After that I complete normal network (http) install. Everything simple works out of box... wow! Before that I tried several other distributions, but none of them actually works for me. I have only 32mt memory, and those graphical installers needs a way more.

I deleted all my partitions ( press "i" to initialize disk in fdisk) during install, an I am using quik as bootloader. Only drawback is that with quik it's not easy to deal with a dual-boot systems, but it's ok to me since this is Linux-only machine. Quik doesn't need any special boot-partitions, make only normal Linux-partitions you need.

Only real problem is that because that version of Open Firmware doesn't drive display, I have never actually seen quik to boot, only blank screen. After linux starts to boot everything is ok. I haven't figured out yet how I can boot different kernels, ie how to use quik boot-menu with my blank screen...

-jkarjanl

Hello all,

I've given up for the E20 IBM and reinstalled AiX on it. Let's wait for
next release of debian.
Anyway, I found another worthy computer : PowerMacintosh 7200/90. Does
anyone know how to install linux on it and if I really need that stupid
little MacOS partition on the disk.
Thanks for help in advance,
Jean-Francois