G4 Upgrade

I'm looking at finally taking the plunge and doubling the speed of my
beige G3 by popping a G4 ZIF in.  OWC says that the ZIF is
linux-compatible.  However, I have two questions:

1) Does the G4 have any advantage in linux over a G3?  Last I knew, gcc
didn't compile for Altivec, though I thought I recalled hearing that Apple
was merging their Altivec compiling code.  (OT - can anyone tell me how I'd
be able to code to take advantage of Altivec if gcc *did* compile for it?)

2) The ZIF uses cache-enabling software under MacOS.  Is this something
that can be run once under MacOS then work under linux?  If not, is it
something that can run before BootX and then work under linux?

Thanks,

--
Brian

                                            "Nothing in this life is to be