Re: heavy problems installing woody on a brand new iBook

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 04:17, Valentin Podlovchenko wrote:

> I've bought new 14,1" iBook month ago and had the same problem
> it seems that new iBook hardware and linux kernels work not properly
> each with other (at least some 2.4.X kernel which I've tried to boot
> with) The problem is when you boot from CD linux kernel really doesn't
> see any hard drives!!!,

Note that you can't just boot with any random kernel into the Debian
installer.  It needs to have a number of options set (and not set).  The
most important one is that you can't have CONFIG_DEVFS set, or the
installer will fail in lots of subtle and not-so-subtle ways.  One of
those ways is that it will never see any hard disks.

In retrospect, displaying a warning about this on boot would have been a
good idea, but it's too late for that now...