Re: heavy problems installing woody on a brand new iBook

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 12:20:45AM +0100, Philipp Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a few days ago I bought a new 12.1" iBook 600 to use it primary as linux
> machine, but during my various tries all i saw were kernel panics.
>
> The Debian installer (from NetInstall CD 2002-02-15) claims the computer
> having no hard disk, sometimes i can run fdisk on console but when after
> writing down the partition layout the kernel panics like "access of bad
> area pc 021da64 lv c024a564 11tsk mac-fdisk/80". I also get cryptic
> error mesages when accessing the nic. My tties with the 2.4.18-bh0
> kernel resulted in an total system lockup when switching the console.
>
> Any Ideas?

I've bought new 14,1" iBook month ago and had the same problem
it seems that new iBook hardware and linux kernels work not properly
each with other (at least some 2.4.X kernel which I've tried to boot
with) The problem is when you boot from CD linux kernel really doesn't
see any hard drives!!!, but if you boot from hard drive all seems to be OK :-/
so, I couldn't reproduce all step by step now but the main idea is to boot
from temporary partition on disk, mount root fs on cd and install debian
from network (I don't remember exactly but it may be important to place
root cd in cdrom only after booting :/ )
(two notes:
first - it was some time ago so I can forget some things or really steps
may vary somehow from described, i'm describing the idea ;) and, second -
this is a hack, of course, may be some guru will offer _right_ way ;) )

general steps description:

1) create partitions (from MacOS 9/X)
   - for temporary boot files (hfs/hfs+)
   - for linux
   - for macos9/X if you'll want to leave them
   (you could follow instructions from
    http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml,
    but create two partiotions for linux instead of one)

2) put next files in the root of temporary disk (using cp in MacOSX and
   placing files in directory where your temporary disk is mounted or
   some magic option (may be control, may be option - I don't remember)
   while drag-n-drop files to temprary disk icon on Desktop):
   - yaboot (boot loadar)
   - vmlinux (linux kernel with all options you'll need)

3) create root disk on cd from rootdisk image from debian netinstall cd

Note: you'll need gmac.o module for network card so you can put it on
your root disk or on temporary disk partition (all files you will need
during install you can put on your temporary disk partition)

4) look for your temporary disk partition number using pdisk under OSX
   (I don't know way to see it under MacOS 9) :(

5) boot your iBook into Open Firmware (pressing Command-Option-o-f)
   print:

   boot hd:<num>,yaboot<Enter>

   when you'll see "boot:" prompt print:

   hd:<num>,/vmlinux root=/dev/hdb ro

6) after booting enter shell and tell:

   insmod <full_path_to_gmac.o>

7) exit shell

8) configure network

9) continue installation as usual

P.S.: don't afraid if after installation you'll get kernel panic: cannot
mount root partition - you probably forget to eject cd from cdrom ;)

P.P.S: if you'll _really_ need some more help write me and I'll erase my
debian on iBook and reproduce installation process from scratch writing
all steps to bit of the paper ;) - I'll try to remember all more exactly
retriyng to do all steps by myself indeed...

--
  Valentin Podlovchenko,                     ____/|
  <VPodlovchenko@Microtest.ru>               \ o.O|