Re : Ovnibus news and debian potato ppc

----------
>De : Elizabeth Barham <soggytrousers@yahoo.com>
>À : "Renato Barrios" <renato.barrios@wanadoo.fr>
>Objet : Re: Re : Ovnibus news and debian potato ppc
>Date : Lun 18 mars 2002 12:35
>

> "Renato Barrios" <renato.barrios@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
>>  Specially removing potato from ftp sites or from distribution.
>
> <wince/> I and many others are receiving a great deal of benefit from
> the potato-ppc distribution although it may not quite be to your
> liking.
You have to recognize that potato has to be changed or a clear statement has
to be writed somewhere speaking about its limitations.I mean an alpha
mention in the name or something similar.

>> It would be also the case of customize kernels for ppc
>> architectures. I wonder what you can have if you compile a kernel
>> with pc specific options [mac_hid] enabled. It is not a debian task
>> but someone has to do it.
>
> I, personally, would love to see the woody-ppc distribution's kernel
> (stock) implement mac_hid. It has eased installation and configuration
> greatly but I'm not the maintainer of these.
>
> It is also possible for you to modify the distribution and use it to
> install it on those within your organization. For example, you could
> re-compile the kernel with mac_hid enabled and change some of the
> start-up scripts. Next, you could just place your version on a
> webserver somewhere and have those installing the system fetch your
> version of the distribution from your website.
It would be a different or modified distribution. If debian project has to
be reliable, this kind of limitations and solutions have to be in the
official releases. It would contribute to the project as a whole but also
would be a kind of quality certification by practice. Certainly you have
spent much of your time to find solutions. If ppc mantainers can't accept
that and modify things, there could be the case of a real and unsolvable bug
problem.