Re: Problems booting for the first time, Titanium PowerBook

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 03:56:22AM +0100, Dimitris Dimitriadis wrote:
> Hopefully I don't iterate things that have been said already (there is a
> very similar recent thread, but it didn't explicitly say what to do).
>
> I've installed 2.2.r5 from the net, following the appropriate
> instructions. In order to be albe to install to begin with, I remember
> adding 'novideo' to yaboot.conf in the installation files (I downoladed
> the floppy images) as the plain .onf file rendered my output useless
> (described below). Adding novideo straightened things out.
>
> I then installed debian without problems to a new partition, went very
> smoothly. I also wrote the appropriate files to the bootstraps partition
> (as per the instruction document), and the systems boots, as it should,
> with debian by default.

I don't think the Titanium Powerbook is well supported with the 2.2
kernel.  Try the new-powermac flavor available in the woody branch
(see the url in my .sig for the install manual).

(Colin/Matt, we need to make a list of hardware for which we would
highly recommend new-powermac, and I'll alter the list in the manual
accordingly).

A straw man (any new models missing that have been tested?):

  Model Name/Number                                 Architecture
  ----------------------------------------------    ---------------

  Apple
    iMac Bondi Blue, 5 Flavors, Slot Loading        powermac-NewWorld
    iMac Summer 2000, Early 2001                    powermac-NewWorld
    iBook, iBook SE                                 powermac-NewWorld
    iBook Dual USB                                  new-powermac
    iBook2                                          new-powermac
    Power Macintosh Blue and White (B&W) G3     powermac-NewWorld
    Power Macintosh G4 PCI, AGP, Cube               new-powermac
    Power Macintosh G4 Gigabit Ethernet             new-powermac
    Power Macintosh G4 Digital Audio, Quicksilver   powermac-NewWorld
    PowerBook G3 FireWire Pismo (2000)              powermac-NewWorld
    PowerBook G3 Lombard (1999)                     powermac-NewWorld
    PowerBook G4 Titanium                           new-powermac

Also, I wonder (probably too late) if we could come up with a better
name. It's like the servers in my office, we got a new server and we
would call it NewBase or NewScan etc, then what do you do when you get
another new server? We already have NewWorld, I can see a lot of
confusion developing a short ways down the road.

powermac-G4? but it will work fine on lesser computers.
powermac-2002?
powermac-2.4?

Which reminds me, is the bf2.4 flavor also going to be available for
powerpc? That would be a lot of overlap. Maybe we should really get
into the bf2.4 camp.