Re: Audio CDs in xmms on ibook2 2001 600Mhz

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 01:39:09PM +0100, Michel D?nzer wrote:
[snipsnip]
> Speaking of tumbler sound, has anyone else noticed the following issues?
>
> - tendency to skip, most notably when using APT
> - random hangs (constantly repeating a short part) with SDL apps

Not seen the first two, but the next:

> - some apps cause the driver to go into a weird state where all attempts
>   to play sound fail, the only remedy is to unload and reload it

is easily triggered by this:

--- cut here ---
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>

int main () {
  open("/dev/dsp", O_RDWR);
  perror("output:");
  return 0;
}
--- cut here ---

on my ibook2 running 2.4.17-ben0. Grepping for RDWR in
drivers/sound/dmasound/dmasound_core.c turns up some TODOs that may
have something to do with it.

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes, on resume, the computer
will play loud clicks through the speakers. Suspending again and resuming
sometimes works to make the clicking go away, but once it's happened,
it tends to happen again unless I unload and reload the audio driver.
It's pretty rare - it's only happened twice since my laptop was last
rebooted on Jan 9.

I've seen mention of the clicks-on-resume occasionally on the mailing
list, but I don't recall seeing a fix.

--
William Aoki     waoki@umnh.utah.edu       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
3B0A 6800 8A1A 78A7 9A26 BB92              \ /  No HTML in mail or news!