Re: kernel questions

At 1:40 AM -0500 3/9/02, eric.s.cote@sympatico.ca wrote:
hi,

I have a question about the differences between the 2.2.x kernel, and
the 2.4.x kernel. No need for exacting specifics, but mostly advantages
of moving up. For example, is there better international keyboard
support, better handling of firewalls and other net-related things? Or
is it ok for now that I stay with the 2.2.19 kernel I have now?

eric

firewall code has changed, plus lots of underlying things (vitrual memory, more hardware, etc...). Also I've had problems with the 2.4.x stock kernel on PPC (this was before Marcelo took over maintance, I think he's been accepting PPC udates more quickly than Linus did.)

I've kept my PowerPC 7200 firewall at 2.2.21pre1 since that kernel came out.

Wasn't there a security problem in kernels before 2.2.20?

Basically I'm going by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Kevin