Re: kernel questions

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 01:40:52AM -0500, eric.s.cote@sympatico.ca wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have a question about the differences between the 2.2.x kernel, and
> the 2.4.x kernel. No need for exacting specifics, but mostly advantages
> of moving up. For example, is there better international keyboard
> support, better handling of firewalls and other net-related things? Or
> is it ok for now that I stay with the 2.2.19 kernel I have now?

As related to powerpc, 2.4 handles the hardware better, particularly
newer hardware such as iBooks and G4s. There is better support for
sound, AirPort, and so on. On my OldWorld, I no longer have to disable
the video with video=ofonly.

As for other stuff, I know the firewall code has been improved, but ask
on debian-user or another specific list on-topic for that such as, hmmm,
(/me browses lists.debian.org) how about debian-firewall?